I have been DYING to find out what this baby is!! This pregnancy has been so different from my pregnancy with Myles that I have been convinced it is a girl…. until now…
Here are some old wives tales for predicting gender and what our results have been thus far. You tell us what you think.
1. Sweet versus salty: If you find yourself craving all things sweet, that’s a sign you’re having a girl. Cravings for salty or even protein-rich foods mean it might be a boy. (And if you’re craving everything? Well, that just means you’re pregnant.)
I crave pretty much EVERYTHING but more so salty than sweet now. Snacks often consist of bologna and string cheese. However, in the beginning I only wanted sweet and was super sensitive to salt sooooo….. this one has to be a toss up.
2. Morning sickness: Unfortunately, this early pregnancy symptom doesn’t tend to discriminate. But if you’re suffering from excessive nausea and morning sickness, it’s said you could be having a girl.
I was extremely sick in the first trimester. With Myles I was sick but never vomitted. This time was very very different. I would throw up if I ate, drank, smelled anything, or moved from bed. Prediction: GIRL
3. Pregnancy glow, or no? If your complexion is bright and your hair resembles that of a Pantene commercial, you could be having a boy. If that much-talked-about “pregnancy glow” is MIA and you’re breaking out, it may just mean you’ve got a girl growing. (It’s said little girls steal Mom’s good looks.)
Zits on top of zits! I have been breaking out like crazy! Prediction: GIRL
4. Partner’s weight gain: As this old wives’ tale goes, if your partner is gaining weight alongside you (also known as “sympathy weight”), that could be a sign that you’re carrying a girl.
I don’t think Adam is capable of gaining even one pound. Prediction: BOY
5. Moody versus mellow: If you’re feeling more moody than mellow, you might be having a girl. If you’re more chilled out, legend has it you should get ready for a boy.
Well, not something I am proud of, but my hormones have been ALL OVER THE PLACE! I have been so incredibly moody that I don’t even like being around myself. Prediction: GIRL
6. Carrying high versus low: According to pregnancy lore, carrying high means you’re having a girl, while carrying low means it’s a boy.
This baby is riding high, especially compared to how low Myles was. Prediction: GIRL
7. Heart rate: During your next ultrasound, pay attention to baby’s heart rate. If that little ticker is beating faster than 140 beats per minute, get ready for a girl.
Little one’s heartbeat started higher of course and has slowed down but is still above 150. Prediction: GIRL
8. Chinese gender chart: Place one finger on the age you were when you conceived and another finger on the month of conception. Where your fingers meet in the middle will tell you if you’re expecting a little boy or girl. Are you ready to try this fun chart out? Find it here.
Conceived in March at the age of 27, that would make this prediction: BOY
9. Side You Most Rest On: If you prefer to lay on your left side, you’re having a boy. If you prefer resting on your right side, you’re having a girl.
I prefer to sleep on my stomach, so this one is a toss up.
10. Urine gender prediction test: IntelliGender’s Gender Prediction Kit is a simple-to-use urine based kit that provides immediate gender results in the privacy and comfort of the home. In minutes, the kit reveals the result based upon an easy to read color match. Green indicates boy and orange indicates girl!
You can purchase this at any local drug store or online. It does not give a percentage of accuracy, just says it is not 100% accurate. Inside the little box is a syringe, instructions, and a plastic container that contains some sort of powdered chemical (I would assume). One side of the container has the word “boy” and the other says “girl”. Both are color coded, as you can see above, to easily be able to match the results.
So this morning, I peed in a cup, put 20 mL into the container, swirled for 10 seconds, and then waited….
You can see above that there is a reaction happening. There were little pieces of something (looked almost like metal shavings) that were bouncing up and down in the container. Right under the label you can see the bottom of the fizz that filled all the way to the top of the container. And the final result:
But that urine test is sooo convincing! Guess we will have to wait until July 17th to find out for sure!!